The SAE J2716 (SENT) to RS-232 bus gateway features two bi-directional SENT (Single Edge Nibble Transmission) channels, two analogue output channels, and a RS-232 port. The interface’s flexibility allows the user to use it as a PC interface / SENT data logger, a gateway for PLC or a test system, and generally for SENT communication monitoring and simulation. The analogue outputs offer the possibility to directly convert SENT data frame signals into an analogue voltage.
- SENT-to-RS-232 Gateway
- SENT logger/tester/simulator
- Two independent SAE J2716 (SENT) channels
- Each channel configurable as RX or TX
- Supports Fast and Slow Messages according to SAE J2716:2016 (Fast, Short Serial, and Enhanced Serial)
- Supports tick times down to 0.5 us
- Supports SENT/SPC
- Configurable SENT channel parameters – Tick Time, Nibble Count
- 2 analogue output channels (12-bit DAC, 0-4,095 V)
- On-board remanent memory
- Intelligent message filtration
- 1x DSUB9F (RS-232), 1x 8-pin terminal block
- Input power 9-30 V DC
- 4x LED (3x Status, 1x Power)
- 1x Reset switch
- 5V DC output with over-current protection
- Dimensions 108 x 54 x 30 mm
- Table or DIN-rail mount
- Hardware and firmware customization on request
Fast, Short Serial, and Enhanced Serial message formats are supported. The user can configure channel parameters (direction, tick time, nibble count, filtration) and store the configuration into the device’s non-volatile memory. Each SENT channel can be configured independently to suit all possible use cases: 2 RX channels / 1 RX and 1 TX channel / 2 TX channels.
The converter offers two analogue output channels (12-bit DAC) that can be used to directly convert inbound SENT data frames into an analogue voltage. An analogue output channel can be mapped on any SENT channel. and the conversion parameters are fully configurable: StartBit, BitLength and a linear transfer function: Multiplier, Offset, Min/Max.
An intelligent filtration of incoming SENT frames has been introduced so that the RS-232 communication does not get overloaded. The device’s firmware is upgradable from PC.
A PC application for configuring the device and for monitoring, logging and simulation of SENT communication is available for free. The device provides a communication protocol over RS-232 so that the user can easily integrate the device into an existing system, such as test benches, HiL rigs and End-of-Line testers. The protocol provides function to configure the device’s SENT and analogue channels and to transmit and receive SENT Fast and Slow messages.
Software and System Integration
- Communication protocol for integration into existing systems
- Free-of-charge “SENT Gateway Analyser” PC application for configuration, reception, transmission and logging
note: The SENT Gateway Analyser application will work with any RS-232 port.
- Analogue output channels to connect SAE J2716 bus to systems without SENT support
- Device’s firmware upgradable from PC